The Africentric Personal Development Shop (APDS), is an innovative behavioral healthcare center specializing in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for the prevention, treatment of, and recovery from addictions. Our agency also provides educational classes for the intervention and prevention of domestic violence. We offer a Youth Summer Day Camp for ages 6 to 12 hosted at the Millennium Community School.
APDS is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit counseling institution founded in 1988 by Drs. Moriba and Barbara Kelsey in Columbus, Ohio.
Our role in this community is to provide and make available effective counseling and educational services to people who typically can’t afford or do not have access to programs that address substance abuse and domestic violence. As a behavioral healthcare center, APDS has continuously provided innovative and effective counseling and prevention programs for over 25 years.
Since “day one” our number one goal has consistently been to provide excellent service to our customers and that goal is still our driving force. Additional goals are to:
- Help clients gain a firm understanding of addiction, its consequences and the recovery process
- Support clients to maintain sobriety and develop solid support systems for continued sobriety
- Encourage clients to set healthy boundaries and develop an internal focus of control
- Provide clients with the innovative model of Duluth Domestic Violence Intervention Education
- Hold clients accountable and ensure program compliance
- Have clients take responsibility for their behavior and consequences
- Provide education and support to motivate clients for positive behavioral change
- Provide prompt, accurate and detailed reporting to probation departments and referring agencies as we collaborate to keep our communities healthy and safe
- Provide the S.M.A.R.T. 2.0. Summer Day Camp for youth ages 6 to 12